- You can (change how to) compile
/tailor almost everything, yet whole OS
doesn't feel fragmented.
- Provided you have massive ;)
WITHOUT_* stack in make.conf
you can have pretty frugal system.
(hal, dbus etc.)
- Native Opera support, yes it
really mattered to me, and still
matters. Web browser is usually single most
- Compiling base system from source
and customising e.g. kernel is actually
supported (not like in OpenBSD, which
(for valid reasons!) is rather discouraged).
- You can actually have all (ports & base) binaries
on particular system compiled from source
on the same machine, not only it's supported, it's
- Huge ports system, mostly simple & sane
(vanilla sources, clear structure).
- Good Thinkpad support usually.
- STABLE branch, every day is release