- MySQL Conference & Expo 2009 - Save with Early Registration!
- MySQL Conference & Expo 2009 - 120+ Sessions and Tutorials
- Take the MySQL User Survey and Win a Conference Pass
- MySQL 5.1 GA - 1 Million Downloads
- Live Webinar: Scaling MySQL.com with Query Analyzer & Memcached
- Case Study: Clickability Dramatically Improves Performance and Scalability with MySQL Query Analyzer
- Case Study: Xceedium Relies on MySQL Embedded Server's Resilience and Performance for Its High-Risk User Security Appliance
- MySQL University - More MySQL Sessions in 2009
New Product Releases
- New Release of MySQL Cluster 6.3.20
- New Release of MySQL Connector/C++ 1.0.2 (Alpha)
- New Release of MySQL Workbench 5.0.29 (GA)
- New Release of MySQL Workbench 5.1.5 (Alpha)
- New Release of MySQL Workbench 5.1 for Mac OS (Alpha)
Hints & Tips
- Workbench Plugin Tutorial: Load INSERTs from a File
- Documentation: Using MySQL within an Amazon EC2 Instance
- Article: GlassFish and MySQL, Part 1: A Perfect Combination for Web Applications
- Article: GlassFish and MySQL, Part 2: Building a CRUD Web Application With Data Persistence
- Case Study: Aftonbladet, Sweden's largest news group, bets on MySQL
- PlanetMySQL Blog Posts
- PlanetMySQL Blog: A little MySQL Conference & Expo 2009 update
- PlanetMySQL Blog: 2008 certification results, 2009 news
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Mind the SQL_MODE when running ALTER TABLE
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Using triggers for performance
- PlanetMySQL Blog: FULLTEXT and Asian Languages with MySQL 5.0
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Ideas on Integrating Memcached into MySQL Queries
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Triggers Use Case Compilation, Part I
Industry Spotlight: MySQL in Telco
- MySQL Exhibiting at GSMA Mobile World Congress
- Quick-Start scripts for evaluating and developing new HA services on MySQL Cluster - New MySQL Cluster Sandbox
- MySQL Cluster Sandbox - test cluster to cluster replication!
- 950k reads per second on 1 datanode
- MySQL Cluster - session management tips and tricks
- Disk Data Tables in MySQL Cluster - a summary
- How much DataMemory+IndexMemory do you need for disk data?
- Case Study: Polystar Monitors Telecom NetworksWorldwide with Embedded MySQL
- Case Study: Flexilis Inc Develops Mobile Device Security Solution with MySQL & Sun Servers
- Live Webinar: Deploying a Carrier Grade Service Execution Environment (January 21)
- Live Webinar: Scaling Up, Out or Virtually with MySQL (January 15)
- Live Webinar: Scaling MySQL Leveraging Sun Systems (January 22)
- Live Webinar: Developing MySQL-Backed Applications with Netbeans and JRuby-on-Rails (January 27)
- Live Webinar: Xceedium GateKeeper: Maximizing Performance and Resilience with MySQL (February 4)
- Live Webinar: High-Performance Reporting and Analytics for MySQL Embedded Server (February 25)
Training, Consulting, & Certification
- Training: MySQL and PHP - Developing Dynamic Web Applications (4 Days)
- Consulting: MySQL Data Warehouse Jumpstart (8+ Days)
- Live Webinar: Cost-Effective Open Source Data Warehousing with MySQL, Infobright & Talend (February 10)
MySQL Conference & Expo 2009 - Early Registration Ends February 16
The 2009 MySQL Conference & Expo, April 20-23, 2009 in Santa Clara, CA, brings over 2,000 open source and database enthusiasts together to harness the power of MySQL and celebrate the huge MySQL ecosystem. Register now and save up to $200 USD with Early Price through February 16!
MySQL Conference & Expo 2009 - 120+ Tutorial and Sessions
We're planning four days packed with insight, inspiration, and information that you can put to use immediately. Choose from more than 120 sessions and in-depth tutorials among 16 conference tracks, including:
- Tricks and Tradeoffs of Deploying MySQL Clusters in the Cloud
- Building a Twitter analysis tool using MySQL, PHP and NetBeans
- Faster Data Reduction and Smoothing for Analysis & Archival in MySQL
- Solutions for High Availability and Disaster Recovery with MySQL
- MySQL DBA Certification Tutorial
Take the MySQL User Survey and Win a Conference Pass
Take a few moments to complete our user survey, and you will be entered into a random drawing for a free pass to the 2009 MySQL Conference & Expo. Plus, you will be helping to shape the future direction of MySQL products.
Live Webinar: Scaling MySQL.com with Query Analyzer & Memcached
Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 2:00pm PST
Join us for this informative technical webinar presented by Adam Donnison, System Administrator and Senior Web Developer at MySQL.com. In this presentation, we'll learn how memcached, replication and load balancing has been implemented to help overcome scalability issues and deliver 20 million pages to 3 million unique visitors every month. Adam will also discuss some lessons learned while migrating the site from 5.0 to 5.1. Finally, we'll take a look at how MySQL Query Analyzer was used to identify bottlenecks and query tuning opportunities which yielded orders of magnitude in improvements on several queries.
Case Study: Clickability Dramatically Improves Performance and Scalability with MySQL Query Analyzer
Clickability is the global leader in on demand Web Content Management, serving over 350 million page views per month for hundreds of customers. With the help of the MySQL Query Analyzer, Clickability was able to reduce the database load and double the publishing application's performance. As a result, Clickability saves time and money in debugging, gets better utilization of their hardware, and scales with fewer resources.
Case Study: Xceedium Relies on MySQL Embedded Server's Resilience and Performance for Its High-Risk User Security Appliance
Xceedium is the premier provider of entitlement management solutions that reduce the cost and complexity of controlling high-risk users. Xceedium relies on MySQL in its Xceedium Gatekeeper line of hardened appliances that automate compliance reporting, manage outsourcing risk, provide secure and efficient access to remote infrastructure and control vendor access.
MySQL University is a no cost online training program for Sun Database Group Engineers, MySQL Community Contributors and anyone who's interested in MySQL development and internals. Sessions are scheduled on Thursdays and usually last for an hour. Upcoming topics include Scalability, MySQL Performance, Using DTrace with MySQL, Backing up MySQL using file system snapshots, and much more.
MySQL Cluster 6.3.20, a new version of the the leading open source, high availability database for real-time, mission critical telecommunications services, has been released in source and binary form for a number of platforms (Linux, Solaris, Mac OS X), and is available for download. This is a bugfix release which replaces MySQL Cluster 6.3.17.
A new version of MySQL Connector/C++ has been made available: MySQL Connector/C++ 1.0.2alpha. The MySQL Connector/C++ provides a C++ API for connecting client applications to the MySQL Server. Please see the documentation and the CHANGES file in the source distribution for a detailed description of bugs that have been fixed.
Wasn't there a release just some days ago, you might ask? Yes, indeed - but we had to create a quick follow-up because a nasty bug found its way through our test and into the recently released 5.0.28. Once discovered we found and fixed the root of the problem quite quickly. Additionally we introduced some new icons last time which didn't find their way into the installer script as well. We strongly recommend to update to this release ASAP.
We're closing in on features left to be implemented in 5.1 and keep improving on stability. All object editors are in place now (some of them still in a basic version though) and a bunch of memleaks has been fixed already. Additionally we now statically link the ctemplate-library and therefore you won't have to care about installing/maintaining that package on your own anymore. We provide bin and src packages for Ubuntu and Fedora9 (both 32bit) at the moment.
New Release of MySQL Workbench 5.1.6 for Mac OS (Alpha)
Thanks to the hard work of our mac-developers, we just finished and uploaded the first Alpha version for OSX of our upcoming MySQL Workbench 5.1 for everyone to try. It's a 1st alpha version, so don't expect a full blown design application already - and the binary is Intel only this time. But what we deliver, is a working UI where you can load/save existing Workbench-documents and create diagrams from imported SQL-scripts.
Workbench Plugin Tutorial: Load INSERTs from a File
A couple of people have asked for a means to set the list of INSERT statements of a table from data already in an external file. While we haven't implemented that feature in Workbench as of now, that's something that can be easily added as a Lua plugin.
Documentation: Using MySQL within an Amazon EC2 Instance
The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service provides virtual servers that you can build and deploy to run a variety of different applications and services, including MySQL. The EC2 service is based around the Xen framework, supporting x86, Linux based, platforms with individual instances of a virtual machine referred to as an Amazon Machine Image (AMI).
Article: GlassFish and MySQL, Part 1: A Perfect Combination for Web Applications
When used together, MySQL and GlassFish provide an excellent, low-cost solution for quickly developing and deploying web applications that are not only secure and reliable, but also scale to meet increasing demand and are highly responsive to user requests.
Article: GlassFish and MySQL, Part 2: Building a CRUD Web Application With Data Persistence
Ed Ort and Carol McDonald
This is the second article in a series of articles on GlassFish and MySQL. Part 1 of the series describes the advantages of using GlassFish with MySQL and illustrates why the combination is a perfect choice for developing and deploying web applications. In Part 2, you'll learn how to develop a create, read, update, delete (CRUD) web application that uses GlassFish and MySQL.
The following blog posts are from PlanetMySQL. PlanetMySQL is an aggregation of blogs and news from MySQL developers, users and employees. It is an excellent source of all things about MySQL, including technical tips and best practices.
PlanetMySQL Blog: 2008 certification results, 2009 news
2008 was a good year for MySQL Certification. 1,986 folks took exams which is a 14.6% gain over 2007. 736 candidates earned certifications and that is a 14.4% gain. The biggest gains were in Associate (up 300%) and DBA (up 35%) certifications. Oddly the Developer cert was down 40%.
PlanetMySQL Blog: Mind the SQL_MODE when running ALTER TABLE
The other day, a client mentioned they were getting strange results when running ALTER TABLE. The episode involved modifying an existing primary key to add an auto_increment primary key: it was "shifting" values. Say what?!
PlanetMySQL Blog: FULLTEXT and Asian Languages with MySQL 5.0
I have seen a few people now ask about using MySQL's FULLTEXT indexing with asian languages such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean (herein referred to as CJK.), however, there doesn't seem to be a good centralised article that covers it.
PlanetMySQL Blog: Ideas on Integrating Memcached into MySQL Queries
There's any number of ways to integrate your application with Memcached to take advantage of Memcached's power. Here's a list of some of them (and because I am most familiar with PHP in this case so that's what I've listed, and by no means is it exhaustive).
PlanetMySQL Blog: Triggers Use Case Compilation, Part I
I've run by quite a few triggers lately on production systems. In previous posts, I've written about problems solved with triggers. So here's a compilation of some solutions based on triggers; and some problems which are not (yet?) solvable due to current triggers limitations.
MySQL will be exhibiting at this year's GSMA Mobile World Congress to be held in Barcelona between February 16 and 19, 2009. Come and see MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade Edition in action as it provides 99.999% data availability and millisecond response times while supporting a SIP communicator application.
MySQL will be part of the Sun Microsystems stand, located in Hall 2, Booth #2C12.
Quick-Start scripts for evaluating and developing new HA services on MySQL Cluster - the new MySQL Cluster Sandbox
MySQL Cluster Sandbox let's you get going within seconds. The packages contains a number of scripts to install, setup, and run MySQL Cluster and are intended for localhost installation only. They can be used for evaluation and development, as well as getting familiar with MySQL Cluster.
How much DataMemory+IndexMemory do you need for disk data?
One thing we were guessing at with Massimo yesterday is, if you store large blobs as disk data, how much will they consume DataMemory and IndexMemory (primary key, each "chunk" has a hidden primary key, first 25x bytes of blob stored in memory...)?
Case Study: Polystar Monitors Telecom NetworksWorldwide with Embedded MySQL
Polystar is a telecommunications supplier, providing service assurance and network performance monitoring solutions to the leading telecom manufacturers, operators and service providers worldwide. The global customer base includes T-Mobile, Telefonica, Telia and Telenor. Polystar's solutions provide real-time visibility into the reality of operators' network quality and their customers' experience. The products empower network owners of fixed or mobile networks, as well as for VoIP and NGN to make business-critical decisions with speed and accuracy.
Case Study: Flexilis Inc Develops Mobile Device Security Solution with MySQL & Sun Servers
Flexilis offers mobile security solutions designed specifically for mobile devices from the ground up. Scalable to support both individuals and global corporations, Flexilis protects mobile devices against threats including, viruses, malware, spam, lost or stolen devices and hackers. In addition, users gain the protection of a secure, global communication link to the Internet.
Live Webinar: Deploying a Carrier Grade Service Execution Environment
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 9:30am PST
In this webinar we explore how the Sun GlassFish Communications Server, developed under the SailFin project, and MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade Edition enables Communication Service Providers (CSPs) to cost-effectively address the core requirements of Service Delivery Platform (SDP) deployments in the delivery of new services over converged networks.
Live Webinar: Scaling Up, Out or Virtually with MySQL
Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:00 GMT
Recently the advent of mainstream virtualization technologies, power costs becoming increasingly important and environmental concerns have caused many organizations to look carefully at the systems they deploy and how to get the best return from their platform.
In this web seminar, Ivan Zoratti, Sales Engineering Director for MySQL EMEA, will look at:
- The various scaling options available
- The pros and cons of different architectures
- Running MySQL in Virtualized Environments
- The results of testing sample workloads in various configurations
Live Webinar: Developing MySQL-Backed Applications with Netbeans and JRuby-on-Rails
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 10:00am PST
Join us for this informative technical webinar presented by Arun Gupta, Glassfish Evangelist at Sun Microsystems, where he will demonstrate how to leverage the latest version of the Netbeans IDE to develop and deploy MySQL and Glassfish backed applications using the JRuby-on-Rails framework. Rails is an open-source Web framework for Ruby developers, while JRuby is an 100%-pure Java implementation of the Ruby language. Combining JRuby-on-Rails with the MySQL database and Glassfish application server allows developers to deliver scalable and robust applications for the web in a complete and integrated stack.
Live Webinar: Xceedium GateKeeper: Maximizing Performance and Resilience with MySQL
Wednesday, February 4, 2009 - 10:00am PST
Xceedium is the leading provider of entitlement management solutions that control high-risk users. The Xceedium GateKeeper™ is a hardened security appliance that relies on the performance and resiliency of MySQL Classic to store enforcement policy and continuously log, record and report on all the activities of high-risk users in demanding enterprise and government environments. In this presentation, Kern Weissman, Sr. Director of Product Management will discuss the importance of the MySQL database for Xceedium's enterprise-class security appliance.
Live Webinar: High-Performance Reporting and Analytics for MySQL Embedded Server
Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:00am PST
Join MySQL and Kickfire for this webinar in which we will discuss:
- How MySQL/Kickfire broke TPC-H data warehousing world records in price/performance
- How you can now get high performance analytics on data volumes into the terabytes
- Case studies of how embedded MySQL customers are using this new technology - achieving up to 600X improvement in some cases
- How MySQL/Kickfire is enabling customers to increase revenues, differentiate from competition, and save costs
Training: MySQL and PHP - Developing Dynamic Web Applications (4 Days)
Cupertino, Monterrey, Mexico City, Johannesburg
An Authorized MySQL instructor will teach you how to develop applications in PHP and how to use MySQL efficiently for those applications!
Through a hands-on approach, this instructor-led course will help you improve your PHP skills and combine them with time-proven database management techniques to create best-of-breed web applications that are efficient, solid and secure.
Consulting: MySQL Data Warehouse Jumpstart (8+ Days)
A dedicated MySQL certified consultant will work closely with your team to:
- Guide you through the architecture & design of your Data Warehouse including storage engines, scalability and availability.
- Analyze and architect your data model for Data Warehouse or Data Mart best practices.
- Work with you to define a relevant Proof of Concept (POC) for your project.
- Install, configure, and administer a MySQL Data Warehouse for the POC.
- Work with you on an initial Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) process and execution.
- Benchmark and tune sample queries against the POC Data Warehouse.
- Help you define the monitoring of follow-on production systems.
- Create a best-practices backup and recovery strategy.
Live Webinar: Cost-Effective Open Source Data Warehousing with MySQL, Infobright & Talend
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 15:00 CET
Join us for this web seminar to understand how to implement a complete and seamless open source data warehouse solution, including:
- How to leverage MySQL 5.1's new data warehousing features
- How to manage data sources, data transformations, and ETL process scheduling - including real-time transformation and loading
- Using Infobright to create a scalable, self-managing Data Warehouse Customer case studies
If you wish to unsubscribe from future email communication from MySQL use the unsubscribe instruction below. If you do not wish to receive email communications from Sun, please visit http://www.sun.com/cgi-bin/sun/dne/ or forward this message to do-not-email@sun.... with remove from sun or unsubscribe from sun in the subject line.