- Sun Microsystems Announces Agreement to Acquire MySQL
- MySQL Conference and Expo 2008 - Register Now and Save
- MySQL for SaaS Providers
- MySQL Enterprise Unlimited
- White Paper: Data Modeling, A Guide for Developers and DBAs
- MySQL is Hiring
New Product Releases:
- New Release of MySQL Workbench 5.0.12 (Beta)
- New Release of MySQL Enterprise Server 5.0.54a
Hints & Tips:
- Article: MySQL 5.1 Partitions in Practice
- White Paper: MySQL Cluster Evaluation Guide
- White Paper: Enterprise Data Warehousing with MySQL
- White Paper: An SMB Guide to Developing an Open Source Strategy
- Book: MySQL Cluster Certification Guide
- PlanetMySQL Blog Posts
- PlanetMySQL Blog: My presentations at the 2008 MySQL Conference
- PlanetMySQL Blog: Distributed Defense Against the Dark Apps
- PlanetMySQL Blog: MySQL Proxy: Reusing Connections
- PlanetMySQL Blog: A hidden gem in the MySQL distribution: replace
- Live Webinar: MySQL Performance Tuning Best Practices
- Live Webinar: MySQL 5.1 Partitioning (French)
- Live Webinar: Enabling Enterprise 2.0 with MySQL
- Live Webinar: Enabling Converged Services with MySQL Cluster
- Live Webinar: Session Management with MySQL (German)
Training, Consulting & Certification:
- Certification: MySQL Cluster DBA Certification
- Consulting: MySQL Scale-Out, High-Availability and Replication Jumpstart (4 Days)
- Training: MySQL Performance Tuning (4 Days)
- Tokutek White Paper: Transforming Data Storage and Retrieval of MySQL Databases
Sun Microsystems Announces Agreement to Acquire MySQL
With millions of global deployments including Facebook, Google, Nokia, Baidu and China Mobile, MySQL will bring synergies to Sun that will change the landscape of the software industry by driving new adoption of MySQL's open source database in more traditional applications and enterprises.
MySQL Conference & Expo 2008 - Register Now and Save $200
Early Registration Deadline: February 26, 2008
MySQL Conference & Expo draws more than 1,600 participants and offers more than 100 sessions and tutorials, led by some of the leading experts in the world. Register early and reserve your spot in one of the following high-intensity, hands-on tutorials:
* Real World Web Scalability
* Getting started with MySQL Proxy
* MySQL Cluster Tutorial
* A Hands-on Introduction to High-Availability MySQL and DRBD
* Memcached and MySQL: From Soup to Nuts
* MySQL Workbench
SaaS (Software as a Service), also commonly referred to as On-Demand, is a software application delivery model that is helping organizations significantly reduce the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) of their IT infrastructure and operations. MySQL provides a number of unique advantages making it the database of choice for leading SaaS vendors including Zimbra, RightNow and Proofpoint.
Today, there are over 5,000 organizations that spend more than $1 million on closed source Software License fees to Oracle, Microsoft, Sybase and IBM. MySQL Enterprise Unlimited is a unique offering that enables you to accelerate your open source initiative and gain control of your software budget by significantly reducing the cost of deploying and managing database software. For the price of a single CPU of Oracle Enterprise Edition ($40,000 per CPU), you can deploy an unlimited number of MySQL Enterprise Servers, with full 24x7 production support.
White Paper: Data Modeling: A Guide for Developers and DBAs
This white paper looks at the various types of data that modern businesses need to manage, examines the reasons why a model-driven approach to data management is necessary, and outlines the benefits such an approach provides. It also highlights how MySQL Workbench can be an indispensable tool.
MySQL Workbench is the new tool for Visual Data Modeling (ER Diagrams), Forward/Reverse Engineering, and Schema Synchronization. You can also Document, Print and Report on your Data Models. And, for maximum flexibility, you can customize with plug-ins and Lua scripts. If you are a DBDesigner user, then you should definitely check out MySQL Workbench!
This is a Monthly Rapid Update release of the MySQL Enterprise Server 5.0. This release includes:
Security Fix: Three vulnerabilities in yaSSL versions 1.7.5 and earlier were discovered that could lead to a server crash or execution of unauthorized code. The exploit does not apply to OpenSSL.
Article: MySQL 5.1 Partitions in Practice
This article explains how to test the performance of a large database with MySQL 5.1, showing the advantages of using partitions. The test database uses data published by the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics.
In this whitepaper, learn the fundamentals of how to design and select the proper components for a successful MySQL Cluster evaluation. We explore hardware, networking and software requirements and work through basic functional testing and evaluation best practices.
White Paper: Enterprise Data Warehousing with MySQL
Although the MySQL database server has been the proven leader in database management for online businesses, many have wondered if it has the capabilities to also lead in the area of data warehousing and business intelligence. This paper examines the MySQL strategy for data warehousing and showcases the unique abilities and advantages that come with choosing MySQL as a provider for data warehousing and business intelligence needs.
White Paper: An SMB Guide to Developing an Open Source Strategy
Not only is open source ready for the world's largest enterprises, it's ideal for small- and medium-sized businesses (SMB's) as well. Many SMB's are realizing significant cost savings by using open source products to power web sites, business-critical enterprise applications and packaged software. This paper is your guide to developing an open source strategy.
Covering the Certified MySQL 5.1 Cluster Database Administrator exam, this study guide is the one authority to look to when you're preparing for the test. The book teaches you all the concepts, principles, and techniques that you'll need to know for the exam, with many practice questions and real-world examples help you prepare for test day.
The following blog posts are from PlanetMySQL. PlanetMySQL is an aggregation of blogs and news from MySQL developers, users and employees. It is an excellent source of all things MySQL, including technical tips and best practices.
PlanetMySQL Blog: My presentations at the 2008 MySQL Conference
I am giving two sessions myself, on extremely practical topics. One is the query cache, and the other is EXPLAIN. Both are the subject of many myths and misunderstandings! My goal is to remove all the programmer-speak and show you how they really work. Once you understand that, you can understand the technical terminology.
PlanetMySQL Blog: MySQL Proxy: reusing connections
Some time ago I have shown that the proxy can do connection pooling and can keep server-side connections open to be reused by another client later. The keepalive tutorial shows how this can be implemented. When it comes to reusing a server-connection for multiple client connections we have to face a small problem.
Live Webinar: MySQL Performance Tuning Best Practices
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
* Are you experiencing current performance bottlenecks?
* Designing a new application and want to know how best to structure your schema and index strategy for optimal performance?
* Interested in how to transform your SQL into faster, more efficient queries?
Live Webinar: Enabling Enterprise 2.0 with MySQL
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Join us for this webinar where you can learn how MySQL is helping to enable the next-generation of technologies revolutionizing the way businesses and corporate end-users store, access and share data across the enterprise.
Enabling Converged Services with MySQL Cluster
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 (Americas)
Thursday, February 21, 2008 (EMEA)
Join us for this webinar where you can learn how MySQL Cluster Carrier Grade Edition is powering telecom's next-generation of converged subscriber-centric networks. In this webinar learn how equipment manufacturers and service providers are bringing web and communications technologies together to drive increased revenue and reduced churn.
The MySQL 5.1 Cluster DBA Certification (CMCDBA) is a specialization exam for those that design, deploy and administer MySQL Cluster setups. Cluster certification is part of the DBA track, and represents an advancement level exceeding CMDBA certification.
Consulting: MySQL Scale-Out, High-Availability and Replication Jumpstart (4 Days)
In this engagement, a dedicated MySQL certified consultant will work closely with your team to:
* Analyze your Scale-out and High-Availability database requirements
* Identify potential issues and limitations
* Install, Configure and Fine-Tune MySQL
* Configure MySQL or MySQL Cluster to work with HA Technologies (e.g. DRBD, SAN, Shared SCSI, Heartbeat, etc), as required
* Secure your database environment against failures and downtime
* And more ...
Training: MySQL Performance Tuning (4 Days)
Lyon, Beijing, Washington D.C., Hamburg, Orlando
* Do you want to monitor, diagnose problem areas and tune MySQL for optimal performance?
* Do you want to write queries that take advantage of the MySQL 5.0 performance enhancements dealing with queries and indexing?
* Do you want to Evaluates the application architecture for efficient design, structure, caching, number of connections and other factors affecting performance
Tokutek White Paper: Transforming Data Storage and Retrieval of MySQL Databases
Data-driven businesses, which use data analysis to direct their decisions, are collecting data at ever increasing rates. At the heart of these businesses is the database used to store and analyze that data. As databases grow, and insertion rates increase and queries become more complex, storage engines are not keeping up. This whitepaper discusses how fractal tree database technology, a cache-oblivious replacement for the traditional B-tree technology, substantially outperforms B-trees for both insertions and range queries.